The drunk driving death toll is increasing yearly. These drunk driving crashes end up maiming passengers, pedestrians and even the drivers themselves.
And that’s only if you are lucky! Too many times injury and disfigurement is the best result for a drunk driving victim. The loss of life is the horrifying end result of a large number of accidents caused by drunk drivers.
According to statistics, it is more likely for male drivers to be involved in drunk driving accidents than female drivers, but that isn’t much comfort to the family of a drunk driving victim.
It is now evident that the number of youths getting involved drinking and driving is also going up and there are many repeat offenders.
Below are top reasons why a drunk driving death or injury is so devastating when accidents occur…
- The carelessness of the drunk driver usually results in an inability to control or manage the vehicle. Even if a secondary vehicle is not involved, this loss of control can result in injuries or death of either the driver, passenger, or a pedestrian.
- Drunk driving accidents are really heartbreaking and not only to an innocent passenger or unsuspecting pedestrian. Even if the driver is the only occupant and injures/kills only themselves, the family is left devastated. A drunk driving death affects the family for years to come.
- If death does not occur as a result of the drunk driving accident, and only injury or dismemberment occurs, there is still a cost to the family. Beyond the heartache, the family may be forced to care for the injured party indefinitely because of their loss of ability to function properly on their own.
- In most cases of drunk driving accidents, the vehicles are traveling at high speed. Someone under the influence of alcohol is unable to use proper judgment and control while driving. Combine those two variables and death and disaster are the inevitable result.
- Medically speaking, the facts about drunk driving declare that the presence of alcohol in the body is very dangerous in the event of an accident. The body becomes more vulnerable to harm during injuries. Many drunk driving victims die due to alcohol presence in the body.
Literature regarding the facts about drunk driving tell us that alcohol damages your senses in such a way that your response time is decreased, your ability to multi-task is diminished, and your brain can’t process the visual information it receives as quickly as it normally can.
The drunk driving facts also tell us that our natural caution levels are reduced, we are less attentive, and we are less able to handle complicated situations when under the influence of alcohol.
All these effects hinder your driving capability, putting you at risk of an accident, and putting in jeopardy the lives of you and your friends, family, and others on the road.
The law acknowledges that this is one of the most dangerous causes of reckless driving. Therefore, some tough measures should be imposed to curb this malice.
In most cases, a drunk driving death or drunk driving victim tend to be the result of hardcore drunk drivers with repeated offenses. These people need to be stopped for good.
Among some important measures that should are implemented is the introduction of sobriety check points. These can reduce the number of deaths related to drunk driving, but only if harsh penalties are put in place for those who offend.
Every drunk driving death could be avoided! There is no excuse for drivers who get behind the wheel if they have had any level of alcohol in their system. In my opinion, the only way to really save lives is to get rid of the alcohol altogether. I doubt that will ever happen, but hopefully drunk driving laws will make the penalty for driving while under the influence so severe that people will be less likely to take the risk.